- Production information and advice for video artists and filmmakers from Cinema Canada Online/Cyber Film School.
- French journal focusing on films released in France. This links to the France Cinema Multimedia page where Actuacine and Grand Ecran--another French magazine with film reviews--are kept.
- Animation Journal
- Only peer-reviewed scholarly journal devoted to animation history and
theory. Its content reflects the diversity of animation's production techniques and national origins.
- L'art du cinema
- On-line French film journal.
- Quarterly journal of film, architecture, philosophy, literature, music, and perception.
- The Biz
- On-line trade publication focusing on individuals in entertainment industry.
- Business magazine of the motion picture industry.
Lights Film Journal
- Glossy, 8-1/2" x 11" popular-academic hybrid of movie analysis,
history, and commentary, looking at classic and commercial,
independent, exploitation, and international film from a wide range of
vantage points from the aesthetic to the political. A prime area of
focus is on the connection between capitalist society and the images
that reflect, support, or subvert it--movies as propaganda.
- Cable Regulation Digest
- Gopher archive of "Cable Regulation Digest" editions from "Multichannel News".
These materials are archived here as a service to that organization,
which has provided the included files.
- Camera Obscura
- A journal of feminism and media theory.
- Canadian Journal of Communication
- Primarily English-language quarterly in the field of
communication studies and journalism education; balances thematic issues
(one or two per year) with more general issues containing peer-reviewed
articles, commentaries, research in brief and book reviews. All
articles in the Journal have abstracts in both English and French.
- Canadian Journal of Film Studies On-Line
- World Wide Web access to the Revue canadienne d'etudes cinimatographiques /Canadian Journal of Film Studies.
- A guide to what's happening in international film, cinema and movies.
Each month Cinema covers a selection of current movie reviews, a Cinefile
of cult and classic movies, plus features on leading actors and directors.
- Cinema Journal
- Academic journal published in cooperation with the Society for Cinema Studies.
- CinemaS p a c e
- This site is currently under construction. It will contain the journal CinemaSpace, from the Film
Studies Program at UC Berkeley. It will be devoted to all aspects of Cinema and New Media.
- Recent Articles: Out of the Lens Cupboard, In depth
study of the anamorphic process
from Hypergonar to Cinemascope; Coming in 70mm, the future of 70mm
theatrical prints; Cinema Pre history; ICON FilmSTAR, Ticketing
system;Dolby SR Digital Sound; Sony
Dynamic Digital Sound (SDDS); Cinerama; IMAX; Futuroscope
- Communication and Media Studies Journals from Sage
- Descriptions and ordering information for Media, Culture, & Society, European Journal of Communication, Communication Abstracts, Discourse & Society and other journals.
- The Australian Journal of Media and Culture. Several issues available online.
- Interdisciplinary journal that brings its
readers current criticism on a variety of topics within
literature, art, architecture, film, history, philosophy, and music.
- International, electronic review of books on theory,
technology and culture.
Sponsored by the Canadian Journal of Political and Social Theory, reviews
are posted periodically
of key books in contemporary discourse as well as theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
- Cultural Studies Times
- On-line cultural studies journal from Routledge.
- International magazine for innovative developments in
theatre, performance, media, visual art and literature.
- Difference Engine
- Aims to creatively employ new technologies of information and
communication, to provide critical Content relevant to the 'digital
revolution', within an innovative environment or architecture, while
developing on-line working practices and editorial protocols in digital
- Journal for the theoretical study of media and culture.
- The complete on-line version of the current issue of Digital Video, a print magazine with reviews and tutorials on digital media tools.
- The Farnsworth Chronicles
- Online account of the life of inventor Philo T. Farnsworth,
who, at the age of 13, dreamed of trapping light in an empty jar and
transmitting it, one line at a time, on a magnetically deflected beam of
Communications Law Journal
- Published by the Indiana University Law School and
the Federal Communications Bar Association.
- Film and History
- Table of contents for latest issues of this interdisciplinary journal of Film
and Television Studies.
- Film and Philosophy and The SPSCVA Review
- New philosophy journal and review published annually by the Society for the Philosophic Study of the Contemporary Visual Arts.
- Film Feature Forum
- Newsletter produced by the Association of European Film and Media Journals. Provides abstracts of recent articles published in the following publications: Balkanmedia (Hungary), Blimp (Austria), Chaplin (Sweden), Cinemaya (India) Ekran (Slovenia), Film a Doba (Czech Republic), Filmbulletin (Switzerland), Film und Fernsehen (Germany),
Kinovedcheskie zapiski (Russia), Skrien (Netherlands), Vertigo (Great Britain).
- Tri-lingual journal dedicated to the study of the relationship between
history and cinema studies modeled on the British journals Historical Journal of Film, Radio, and Television and Film and
History. Film-Historia seeks to expand the study of film as testimony of
society and culture, and as
a new tool for the teaching of history.
- Film International
- Quarterly cross cultural film review with issues available in English
- Explores the creative process and demystifies the production process of independent movie-making.
- fps: The Magazine of
Animation on Film and Video
- Dedicated to the world of animation, in all its
forms: Japanese animation, cutout
animation, big-budget commercial productions, independent works, the
old, the new, the famous, the infamous, the obscure.
- Film Quarterly
- Offers articles covering the entire field of film studies.
Articles include interviews with innovative directors, producers,
actors, and writers; discussion of issues in contemporary film theory;
definitive, reviews of the latest cinema and video releases; and
important approaches to film history.
- International journal about the first 30 years of film history. Griffithiana
is devoted to the study of silent film and animation.
The journal features articles by prominent international film scholars,
historians, archivists, and journalists. Also included are
exhaustive filmographies, reviews of international cinema books, and
two handsomely illustrated issues each year that showcase newly
rediscovered and restored films presented at the Pordenone
- Informal electronic trade journal for people in the computer
animation industry as well as those pursuing a career in computer
animation. Some of the main
highlights of G-Web, include an up to date job listing section, and cozy
behind the scenes interviews with the people leading this industry.
- The Hollywood Reporter
- Online version of first daily trade paper for the entertainment industry.
- The Howard Journal of Communications
- Independent, peer-reviewed journal designed to foster
exchange among scholars of all communications disciplines on theory, application, policy, and
pathology, especially from a cultural perspective.
- Journal of the BKSTS, The Moving Image Society. Published ten times
per year this journal covers information on new technology in
Film, Sound, Television, Special Effects, A/V, Special Venue (Theme
Park), and Multimedia.
- Iris: A Journal of Image and Sound
- Biannual publication that presents current scholarship in film
theory and the relation of image to sound. Begun in 1983, Iris devotes
each issue to a different aspect of film theory or history. Since 1989,
the Spring issue is published in the United States and the Fall issue in
- Journal of
Criminal Justice and Popular Culture
- Reviews of all types of
popular culture artifacts and
original essays pertaining to the intersection of popular culture and
- Journal of Film and Video
- Published quarterly by the University Film and Video Association, Journal focuses on scholarship in the fields of film and video production, history, theory, criticism, and aesthetics.
- Journal of Popular Film and Television
- Dedicated to popular film and television in the broadest sense.
Concentration is upon commercial cinema and television: stars,
directors, producers, studios, networks, genres, series, the audience,
- A review of contemporary media.
- Kulture Void Pictures
- A new webzine dedicated to independent filmmaking.
- Quarterly journal concentrating on the study of
audiovisual culture. It is an open forum for all interested in
the subject. It publishes articles in Finnish and summaries in
- McLuhan Probes
- Monthly publication produced by Communication Design students
from around the world, on the thoughts and observations of media
Herbert Marshall McLuhan.
Published by the Herbert Marshall McLuhan Foundation.
- Media 3
- Media education resource guide for teachers, students
and media professionals produced by 3rd year and post graduate students in Media
Arts at Deakin University, Rusden Campus, Clayton, VIC. Australia. Each issue is researched and written by students,
who are involved in all stages of its production from editorial input
through to photography and design.
- Established in 1985 as a meeting place for video artists and TV dissidents, Mediamatic Magazine is concerned with art and media and the changes being wrought by techno-culture, hypermedia and virtuality.
- Media Studies Journal
- Quarterly forum for scholars, practitioners and informed commentators to discuss topical
themes of enduring importance to the mass media and the public.
- Millennium Film Journal
- Publishes articles about independent, experimental, and
avant-garde cinema, video, and, more recently, works that use the newer technologies.
- Multimedia publication from Boston University's College of Communication
- New Media: Technology, Society, Culture
- Provides a forum for social science, cultural studies and
innovation and policy
studies perspectives on the emergence, adoption and implications of new
information and communication technologies, and their applications in
the form of new media products and services.
- Published by the Nordic Council of
Ministers and Advisory board in cooperation with the Steering Committee for Culture and Mass Media. Subscription is free.
- Focuses critical attention on the
contemporary arts and their various contexts of interpretation: film;
painting; music; photography; performance; sculpture; literature.
- The OMNIBUS:EYE
- A vision of the future for the production and
study of digital media upon the world-wide network including the
creation and anthologizing of "transpixins"(digital movies viewed over the
internet). Sponsored by Northwestern University's RTVF Department.
- On: Production and Post Production
- On-line publication with articles on technical aspects of film and video production.
- An electronic journal of interdisciplinary criticism.
- POST SCRIPT: Essays in Film and the Humanities
- Publishes scholarly articles on film, interviews with
filmmakers, reviews of film-related books, and an annual bibliography of
the latest articles in film studies.
- Award winning cultural studies
journal for the critical multidisciplinary reader. Concerned with global
flows and the cultural sphere, the journal features essays dealing with
the increasing deterritorialization of cultural expressions and the rapid
emergence of cosmopolitan forms -- such as cinema, television, museums,
and tourism -- in different national settings.
- Quarterly Review of Film and Video
- Publishes critical, theoretical and historical essays and
extended book reviews on film, television and video, exploring these
media in their technological, institutional and cultural contexts. The
scope is international; featuring articles and special issues assessing
developments in theory and practice from around the world, as well as
translations of foreign-language texts.
- From pop videos to art films, film noir to third world cinema, Screen
keeps pace with the changing world of film. Each issue offers the
latest developments in film, television, and cultural theory plus
conference reports, and book reviews.
- Interdisciplinary Journal in Women's Studies.
- Subtitled "Culture/(Hyper)text/Image," this self described
"journal of deconstruction" contains articles by, and interviews with,
cultural theorists and critics concerned with, among other things, new
- Technology and Culture
- Explores the history of technology from antiquity
to the present day. Cutting across cultural and
geographical boundaries, the journal's scope
extends from examinations of specific devices and
processes to analyses of the complex relationship
between technology and its social and cultural
- The Journal of New Media Authoring in the Digital Domain. Published
Quarterly from the Northwestern University Dept. of Radio/TV/Film. Current
issues's special feature is "Turning the Page on Journalism - A Link to the
Future of Information Acquisition and Distribution on the World Wide Web".
- Tempi Moderni
- Italian journal with links to many topics from box office and production information to interviews with directors.
- Thresholds: viewing culture
- Culture studies/media studies journal from the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Velvet Light Trap
- Offers critical essays on significant
issues in film studies while
expanding its commitment to television as well as film research. Each
issue provokes debate about
critical, theoretical, and historical topics relating to a particular theme.
- Weltwunder der Kinematographie
- German journal focusing on film technology and film history.
- Wide Angle
- A film quarterly of theory, criticism, and practice. Wide Angle
examines a variety of topics ranging from international cinema to the
history and aesthetics of film.
See also CineMedia's listing
Perhaps you'd like to suggest another journal to add to this page.
Last modified: 9/4/96
Comments: SCREENsite Webmaster